It’s All In the Spelling

I’ve been dyeing!!  Noo…..not dying but dyeing!  Like dyeing yarn?  I don’t know why but it’s almost like I feel like I’ve caught a bug.  The dyeing bug.  When I think about it, I just want to do it again and again and again!  I didn’t have any yarn though!  So I ordered some gorgeous, all natural lace on ebay for real cheap.  It is 150 grams, and I guess I didn’t realize how much yardage that equals out to. The picture only shows 3 of the 9 (NINE!) skeins. My goal was a gradient, which I kind of achieved after some finagling with the dyes and whatnot.  One skein is just smaller and that’s why it looks more like a variegated color than a gradient.  I have to say I don’t love it quite as much as I would have hoped.  I also didn’t think about what I could make with a lace gradient (and so much of it!).  I’ve been wandering some patterns on Ravelry though and I’m thinking about using it for a Heirloom Diamond Baby Blanket or possibly doubling the yarn for something.  The colors seem baby appropriate, both boys and girls.  Who the recipient will be is what I’m not too sure about, and of course it also depends on when I actually get to knitting it!

The purple/pink yarn cake there is my pride and joy!  It’s the best dye job I’ve done so far, at least I think.  I’m part of the A Kool Way To Dye group on Ravelry and every month they have a them for dyeing.  Going with the St. Patty’s Day theme, they chose Luck of the Draw for March.  This meant we blindly picked 3 colors to dye with. So I decided I would try it on a ball of Regia 4 ply Classic, but I have both Wiltons dye and Koolaid. I wanted to try a cool Koolaid effect someone had wrote about earlier so I figured I would pick one color from the wiltons (in a bag & blind!) then pick 2 of the KAs (also all in a bag). Well first I picked Wilton’s Violet, then time for the KA. I picked three different packets of black cherry!! But the point was 3 colors so I kept trying for a 3rd and got Pink Lemonade. I first wound my yarn up in a very, very loose skein and soaked it with water and vinegar for about 1/2 hour. Then I put it in a pot on the stove just so the water would cover the yarn. Not alot of water at all. In a separate bowl I mixed my violet Wilton’s Icing dye with some water and I spooned it over the yarn in just so I was dyeing lines or parts of it. I turned it over, and did the same thing once the dye was exhausted. Then I used Black Cherry Koolaid and sprinkled it on spots I wanted it. Then I did the same thing with some Pink Lemonade Koolaid. Turned it over and did the same thing.  I love the final result and I will be trying this result again!

This is sock yarn, and I want to make socks with it.  Especially since I’m a big pink lover.  I originally planned to make Cookie A’s Monkey socks with it.  I stated this in the group and got one response saying that they don’t think it would look good.  So I’m leaving it to you, my loyal readers.  What do you think?   Obviously if it doesn’t look good I would just frog and start a new pattern, but I’m very curious what your opinions on this would be.  Thanks!

Advertisements

3 thoughts on “It’s All In the Spelling

  1. I think it would look fine!

    Dyeing is something I want to learn to do…maybe next time I see you, you can talk me through it.

    • Sure!!! I was actually thinking that it would be fun to do with the girls too! We’ll be home after the wedding 🙂

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s